Monday, February 16, 2009

Bird Kingdom

On Saturday we took the kids to this fun attraction in Niagara Falls. I've wanted to go here for a quite a while but haven't for a few reasons. I wasn't sure if it would be kind of "freaky" for the kids (and me) if there would be birds flying all around our heads. Some of my kids have issues at the butterfly place and that's why I was a tad worried. I also find it quite expensive - especially for a family of five! So when we were trying to figure out something fun to do this weekend, I just thought I'd check out the website and see if there were any coupons. Sure enough, because it's family day weekend, they had a great sale on. It only cost us $30.00 for all five of us. We saved almost $45.00! I'd rather risk the kids not liking it for that price as opposed to the regular price.

As it turns out, we all loved it! It was so beautiful and there were so many different things to see . . . not just birds. Only a few times did a bird swoop by really fast but I don't think it happened to the kids at all. There was one "freaky" fenced in part where you could go and have about a million birds land on your head and all over your body. People were getting pecked and pooped on and one guy came out with blood on his neck. Needless to say, we didn't go in that part!

I'm posting a lot of pictures because it was hard to choose only a few.

Austin was one of the first volunteers to have a bird sit on his arm. He picked the smaller of the two birds but unfortunately the bird was being a brat and kept trying to peck at his arm instead of sitting on it. He never did end up sitting on Austin's arm.

Here's a close up of the bird . . . pretty but stubborn!

Samara was the next volunteer but changed her mind at the last minute so the bird sat on Mommy's arm instead . . . while Samara got as far away from that big bird as possible!


Here's the creepy part of the place that gave me heebie geebies. Bats, snakes and other icky stuff.



Some of my favourite pictures.





9 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks like a great time (except for the cockroaches and centipedes - shudder). Really nice pictures.

Jules and Danny said...

Looks like a great trip and I've never actually been there... which is rare with that part of our world.
Great pictures too!

darci said...

that looks like so much fun! and great fam pic at the end of the post.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

That place is TOTALLY up my alley!

Catherine said...

Wow! You have some great pics there! Glad you were able to test it out and that you all enjoyed it so much! What a treat to get a family pic together too!

RamblingMother said...

very cool pics!

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Our girls really liked it there too!
Julia

The Robertsons said...

The photo of you and the children behind the waterfall is awesome!

Anonymous said...

That waterfall shot is WICKED!