Monday, May 11, 2009

Oh what a day . . .

. . . one we don’t want to repeat – ever!

Today started out like any other day. Got up, had breakfast, Victoria and Austin caught the bus for school and all was well. Until the phone rang. The secretary at the school where Victoria and Austin go (who happens to be my mom) called to say that Austin had scraped up his face pretty bad. He was running on the pavement and tripped over something. Apparently it didn’t need stitches but there was one sad boy that needed to come home. Since Mike was just on his way out the door, he offered to go get him and bring him home. The poor little guy. Here he is later in the day (when it was ok to take some pics).



And to top it all off, he was so disappointed that he was going to miss his class trip to the greenhouse this afternoon. So we made arrangements that Mike would come home to stay with Samara (who wasn’t feeling 100%) and I would go with Austin (who by this time was feeling better) to the greenhouse. So that’s what we did. Since it was the end of the day when we got back to school after the class trip, I also took Victoria home so she didn’t have to go on the bus. When I pulled into the driveway, the man that lives next door came over and I could tell something was wrong from the look on his face. He didn’t waste any time in telling me that Mike had gone via ambulance to the hospital with Samara. He explained that they thought she maybe had a seizure and I’m not sure what else he said because by this point I was already running into the house to call my mom so she could come watch the kids for me. It just so happened that she didn’t have to work tonight (even though she usually does on Monday nights) so she came as fast as she could (it felt like hours). I headed to the hospital, which is thankfully only five minutes from our house, and met Mike and Samara there. She was already a lot better by that point besides being a little dopey and out of it. The doctor was there explaining everything to Mike and then also to me. So without going into a lot of details about what happened, I’ll just say that Samara had a febrile seizure which can happen from a high fever. She’s fine now and we’re all home safe and sound but it was definitely a huge scare. Definitely the worst scare of Mike’s life. He handled it all so well though and I’m so thankful he was there. Looking back at it now, we can see that God was watching over the whole situation. There are so many things that happened that were totally from God. For example, the neighbour across the street is a firefighter and he just happened to come home at the exact time when Mike needed him. He came over and helped out and even took over the 9-1-1 call. I think it was very comforting and reassuring for Mike to have him there. And the fact that my mom was available to watch Victoria and Austin so I could scoot over to the hospital. And of course the fact that everything turned out okay and Samara is and will be fine. Thank you Lord for watching over our family today and providing for us once again.

14 comments:

Michael and Tammy said...

Oh Karen that is an aweful day but one that had a very good ending. Thank God that Austin and Samara are both okay.

We will have to get together soon once everyone is feeling better.

Lori said...

Oh dear Karen, that was a crazy day! I too am glad that it ended well. Hopefully today will be a bit quieter =) Times like that remind me again and again that we really have no control and God has all the control!! Praise Him for keeping your family safe!

Dawn and Dale said...

Oh my gosh!!! What a day indeed!!!

Praying for you guys!!! What a scare!!

So happy to hear everyone is better now!

4D said...

Oh my!! I am so happy that everyone is okay.

Hubs had that happen to him as a baby and he is fine and big and strong!

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

Karen!! What a day! We thank God with you that all is fine!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Karen - we are so thankful with you all that everything worked out. Isn't that the way it goes, eh? When we look back at things, we can always see God's hand in everything!

Deb

Middle-Aged Moi said...

OH DEAR! I am so thankful that everything is okay! Good thing tomorrow is another clean slate!

Anonymous said...

Glad wee Samara is ok...and Austin...your still a Handsome Guy :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a rough day! How awesome to see how God provided for you that day in so many ways. Hope the paramedics were really good to Samara....even though she didn't get the very best one :)! Take care! Melanie F.

Jules and Danny said...

Boy, am I glad that everything worked out. Those seizures can be awfully scary. Praying she keeps feeling better.
Jules

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, the pictures make my heart hurt.

What a day!

Good things have got to be coming...

I am counting on it.

RamblingMother said...

def a crazy day. hope everyone is well now. my brother used to have febrile seziures where the fever get high too fast. As I understand it, it can be genetic.

darci said...

so glad everyone is ok, what a horrible day!

Anonymous said...

What a day is right! Good thing God is in control and looked after everyone and everything! Better days ahead! :) cz