Tuesday, July 28, 2009

We're Home!

For those of you that don't know, I just arrived home on Saturday afternoon after spending 10 days in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. There were a lot of circumstances that lead to this last minute travel and I hope to blog all about it. I was able to journal while in Ethiopia and I will also share that with you when I am able to find some time. Here's an email I sent out to family and friends yesterday:

Hello everyone. Denver and I made it home safely on Saturday afternoon at around 1:30. I'm still in shock and can't believe that the events of the past two weeks really happened. My emotions have been through the ringer - pulled every which way. When I left for Ethiopia two weeks ago, I had every intention of staying as long as I had to and at that point it looked like it was going to be weeks or even months. Now here we are, two weeks later, all together as a family of six. God is good! Despite the extreme stress and uncertainties and although this trip was not AT ALL what it was supposed to be, we saw God's hand working clearly many times. He watched over all of us, kept us safe and healthy and never once let us down.
When I think about saying thank you, I don't even know where to begin. So many of you played huge parts in all of this and we want you to know how much we appreciate you and what you've done for us. We couldn't have done it without you and your support and prayers mean so much.

Denver is doing relatively well. He has been through a lot and he is extremely overwhelmed. Aside from two parents that love him to bits, he has three siblings that are in his face 24/7. They can't get enough of him and he needs to get used to all the activity in our home. He's a happy and content baby and he's eating and sleeping really well. Him and I are still getting used to Canadian time but the jet lag doesn't seem nearly as bad comign home as it did going there - for that I am thankful. Last night Denver fell asleep at 6:30 pm and I followed about an hour latera. The next thing I knew, it was 4:30 am and Denver was awake and ready to play. I feel quite refreshed today after having nine hours of solid sleep - can't remember the last time I slept so well.

Please continue to pray for us as we go through this time of adjustment. We're all getting used to the changes and it's going to be a while before we're back to some sort of normalcy - is there such a thing as "normal" with four young kids??? I also want to ask you to continue to pray for the situation with our agency and all the families that are caught up in the mess. We have some dear friends that were waiting for referrals, some others that hope to travel soon to pick up their kids and some new friends that I met at the guest house in Ethiopia that are waiting for visas so they too can return home soon. We know that God can make these things right and we pray that His will be done.

On my last day in Ethiopia I was able to visit the orphanage where Denver spent the first month of his life (before he was brought into our agency's transition home). One of the caregivers there was wearing a shirt that said "God will never let you down" and I thought it was so appropriate after all we had been through. I just want to leave you with this verse from Psalm 55:22: "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall".
Love you lots.

Karen


Here are some of the pictures that were taken on Saturday. I can't believe I'm posting the one of me doing the ugly cry but I think it portrays the relief I felt at finally being on Canadian soil with our entire family all together.

20 comments:

Catherine said...

Praising God for answered prayers!! SO thankful you are all home safely together! What a whirlwind of a trip and yet God was with you each and every step of the way.

Beyond thrilled for you friend! Congratulations!!

Lori said...

Absolutely beautiful! I'm joining in the tears department =) Yeah for another awesome God story!!!

4D said...

I have been thinking of you and Cath had told me you were in Ethiopia. I am so, so happy for you that you are both home and with your family. The pic of the ugly cry is beautiful. It shows the true emotion you were feeling and brought tears to my eyes.

Keep smilin!

B said...

I have thought of you and sweet Denver so often in the past few weeks and it is such a blessing to see this wonderful update today.

darci said...

beautiful beautiful beautiful! that is really what keeps shouting out in my head as i read that with tears streaming. so so glad for you. i hope and pray it will be me. darci

Totally Blessed said...

I just want to say congratulations on your newest addition he is absolutely adorable. It is so amazing and awesome to see how God works out situations that at times feel hopeless and out of our control. What a great testimony of God's faithfulness.
I have been following your journey since Samara's arrival and just wanted to let you know that you have been in our prayers and we are so glad that all has worked out in bringing your sweet baby home.

God Bless
Lisa, Grant & Olivia
Group 241 CB

Two Kayaks said...

We are so very thrilled for you, Karen!!! Denver is ADORABLE and I know that you will build a life with him that will be incredible. You have not been far from our thoughts as we knew you were traveling. Congratulations!!!

Chris, Tammy and the gang! said...

Oh my goondess! I was checking your blog ALL the time to see what you would post about teh bankruptcy. I knew you were close to travel and didn't realize you had taken off to Ethiopia! I am SO GLAD to hear you are home, safe and sound and with your amazing little guy! I'm so glad it worked out for you guys and that your stay was way shorter than anticipated!!!

Take care,
Tammy

Kendra said...

It is nice to see you are home and everyone made it happy and safely. The current situation is not good but I am so happy to hear that families are coming home and things are happening quickly in Ethiopia!

Enjoy your time getting to know each other, you have a beautiful family!

t~ said...

Wow, I was really shocked to stop by and see these photos. I love the 'ugly' cry one the best. I have been absent and slow in my blogging these days, but WoW!
Congratulations to your beautiful family of 6! Denver is to cute for words!

Jules and Danny said...

YAY! So glad that you are home with Denver. I have been praying for your family constantly and checking your blog over and over and over! I finally asked Catherine for news this morning and she shared the news of your return!
Hurray!
Jules

M and M said...

There is so much to say!

Congratulations!! I am SO HAPPY for you and your family that you are all home safe and sound together.

How great to see some pictures of Denver! He is adorable!

I too love the ugly cry photo.

We are just thrilled for the 6 of you!!

geminirn said...

OH MY!!!CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL!!!WHAT AN ADORABLE ADDITION TO SUCH A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!!!GOD BLESS!!!

The Mahoney's
CB group 253

Dawn and Dale said...

Those are the best pictures ever!!! Your wonderful sister in law Michele kept me up to date a bit about what all was going on so there was many prayers sent to you from out west as well! I was sooooooo happy and thrilled and thankful when I heard you were in Ethiopia with your baby boy!! That was the best news ever! Now...having you home already with him is the icing on the cake! WELCOME home!!! :-)

Psssst...... families of 8 are great too!!! hehehehehehe ;-)

ChristyCanuck said...

Ahhhhhhh. Phew. And a huge sigh of relief.

So happy that you are home safe. Denver is just gorgeous!! Congratulations to you all!

sallytomato said...

Hey Karen,
I found your blog! Now I can check in on your family and see how you're doing.
It seems we were all together at the Weygoss weeks ago. It's all so removed right now that real life has set in.
So glad to hear you guys are doing well and I loved seeing the photos of your homecoming!
Take care,
Michelle (and David)

Amy said...

I am so happy that sweet little Denver is home! I thought of your family immediatly when the news came about the agency. I am so thankful to see your post and that everything has worked out. What a blessing. I have also been watching your blog since Samara came home. I wish all the best to you and your beautiful family.
Amy, Jamie and Emma
CB-group 241

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! he's home and I've got to see him already!!! He sure is just as cute in person!
FYI: I love the ugly cry picture...it almost makes me do the ugly cry! :)
Congratulations!!!
mz

Jie Jie & Di Di said...

Congratulation Carmondy Family… Denver is so cute…

Hope to see you soon..
Jayne, Dave, Jaiden & Justin

ps... The ugly cry picture is beautiful... it says so much.

The Robertsons said...

Karen,
First congratulations on your newest family member- Denver looks too precious to even describe.
I apologize for my delayed reply. We are just back home after being away for the past 5 weeks, visiting my family and spending 3 weeks in Walt Disney World.
I look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing updates about your wonderful family.
Kathryn