Saturday, January 08, 2011

Happy New Year!

Okay, I know I'm eight days late on that but so be it. That seems to be the way my life ends up more often than not . . . a little late here and there with this and that. What can I say? I'm busy. :)

I’ve never been one for making New Year’s resolutions. Over the last year or more I’ve been reading and hearing a lot about picking a word for the year. So this year, for the first time ever, our family is choosing a word for the year. So for the year 2011 our word will be PRAYER. We will spend the year working on and improving our prayer life as a family and as individuals. And we will pray for God to help us in this area.

Here are some encouraging Bible verses (NIV) regarding prayer. These are just a few of my favourites. There are many, many more.

Psalm 5:3
My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning I will direct my prayer to You, and I will look up.

Psalm 55:17
Evening and morning, and at noon, I will pray and cry aloud; and He shall hear my voice.

Proverbs 15:8
The LORD detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but the prayer of the upright pleases him.

Matthew 7:7-8
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Luke 18:1
Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.

Ephesians 6:18-19
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel.

1 Corinthians 14:15
So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

Colossions 4:2
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 2:1-4
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Hebrews 4:16
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

1 John 5:14-15
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him.

Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


May 2011 be a year that sees many more people around the globe crying out to God in times of need and in times of joy.

2 comments:

darci said...

karen, love love love these verses! it is so AMAZING that we can just "enter boldly into the throne room of grace" and He listens! what a great word of the year-thanks for sharing these! darci

darci said...

karen, could yo upossibly email me at mhovdestad at hotmail dot com? thanks! i can't get the button to work on your blog (pretty sure it's me and not the button!:)