Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sailing

Austin had a chance to take sailing lessons for three weeks in June and we jumped all over it! What an amazing opportunity for him to learn about something he wouldn’t normally be exposed to. He loved it and we enjoyed watching it. At first I was a little hesitant about the idea of him going out on a sailboat with another child that was also just learning. But after the first time, I realized that the instructor was right there in his motorized dingy if anything were to happen. The kids were instructed really well and also learned what to do in the case of an emergency. I have to admit that windy days still made me feel a little nervous but knowing that the little sailboats were pretty much impossible to tip, helped calm my nerves. On the last day, Austin’s sailing buddy quit a little early which left Austin all alone in his boat. I was proud of the way he maneuvered the boat all on his own . . . twice the work he was used to doing with a buddy. I never imagined one of our kids would ever take sailing lessons and I still can’t get over how cool it was. We will definitely do it again next year!











3 comments:

Catherine said...

Great job Austin! What a wonderful, fun opportunity for you!

Sailing is so much fun and you did awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness Grandma was not there for your solo Austin...:( Looks like a lot of fun...good job sailor!!
xo Grandma C

Anonymous said...

Wow Austin. You look like you're enjoying every minute of it - cool as a cucumber and doing it all right! Way to go sailor boy!
Gramz