Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Changes

Remember this?

And this?
And this?
How about this?
And this?
And this?


The habit that used to define our daughter . . . is gone! It's been over a month now and she hasn't had her fingers in her mouth - not even once. And it happened just like that - she quit cold turkey. One day she was sucking her fingers and the next day she wasn't.

The dentist will probably be happy but let me tell you, it was a little brutal at first around here. Samara is the kind of girl that can wake up a few times at night (and other nights we don't hear her at all). But she was in the habit of putting her fingers in her mouth and putting herself back to sleep. It was great. But once the self-soothing was gone, we would have to go into her room to get her back to sleep. It was a rough couple of weeks but it's getting easier now. She's starting to put herself back to sleep without the fingers. And I think we're starting to get used to the new look - you know, the one without the fingers attached to the face.

I don't know what the reason is. We tried to figure it out - sore throat, bad taste on her fingers, sore in her mouth, on her tongue etc, etc. etc. And we actually thought the habit would come back after the issue was resolved (ie: healed sore throat). But that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess the good thing is that we won't have to try to break her of it when she gets a little older.

Here's the new look:

Still pretty cute eh???

13 comments:

Catherine said...

Adorable! It's hard to believe she quit cold turkey but she did it.

Hey, I remember that little car. It was the 'no touch' car when I tried to help her cross the street. :o) Ahhh...she's 2 for sure and oh so cute!!

Anonymous said...

Prety Cute???? I'd say Darn Cute,you have added a lot of laughs Samara Carmody,God sure placed you in the right family :)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

ADORABLE any way you get her!

It is curious indeed what caused her to stop using her self-soothing tool.

Hmmmmmmm


I think the photo of her at the piano in the white sweater and dress is darling.

Jody said...

Cute, cuter and cutest. Fingers or not!!

So, is it Spring out there yet?

Lori said...

Very cute! Perhaps she can teach Kadan to sleep without his blanket. I need a trick I think, but perhaps time will come when it happens 'just cold turkey' too! Very cute pictures!

The Warren Family said...

Is she ever cute! I'm sure someday when she is all grown up it will be funny for her to look back at those photos of the fingers in the mouth. too cute!!

The Robertsons said...

Wow Samara, you'll have to let me know how you did it. My fingers are still a permanent fixture in my mouth unless I am eating or drinking.
Your Guangdong friend,
Kimberly

Kim said...

She is more then pretty cute, she is adoreable! (That's Reuben's favourite saying about Julianna :) I'm so jealous, I've got a 3 1/2 year old Thumb sucker who show's not sign of stoping in fact is it possible he likes it more with each passing day?? grrrrr I'm seeing braces in our future!!

OH MY #6 said...

too funny! But, great!

have a good weekend.

Lea

Michael and Tammy said...

She is beyond cute!!!! That is an amazing transformation for her to make all on her own!!
She has obviously settled in perfectly with her family!

my3 kids said...

What a cutie pie. Love all the pix. Samara's hair is sure growing fast. That is amazing that she quit cold turkey sucking her fingers..wow good for her!

Anonymous said...

She is darling... her baby ways are turning into big girl ways!

Wendy said...

She is very cute.

Wendy