Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thank you Secret Pal!

About a month ago, I was invited to join a secret pal gift exchange for families adopting from Ethiopia. I was so excited because when we were in the process of adopting Samara, I always heard and read about people having secret pals and it looked like so much fun. I never knew how to get involved in one and was secretly jealous of everyone else who had a secret pal. So now I have one! Here’s how it works. There’s someone who organizes the whole thing (thank you Sandi!) and when you agree to join the exchange, you give your mailing address and a bit of info about yourself and your family. Then she lets everyone know who their secret pal is. Every month there’s a different theme and you have to buy and send a gift to your secret pal relating to that theme. It’s so fun. It goes for six months (April – September) and then in October we find out who our secret pal is.

Two days ago, when I was down and out with the flu, I went to check for mail and there was an envelope addressed to me. It was from my secret pal! Perfect timing to brighten my day. In the envelope was a book called “E is for Ethiopia”. It’s a great rhyming kids book that goes through the Alphabet and for every letter, it discusses something in the Ethiopian culture. What a great way to help our little one learn more about the country he was born in.


Thank you secret pal!




5 comments:

Lori said...

That's very fun! What a great memory for your little one later on in life! Have fun communicating with your secret pals!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Oooh I love this book!!!
I love the picture in the header and I can't wait for it to have one more member!

Catherine said...

SP swaps are such fun! Doris ended up being my SP which was really cool!! We were friends and then I found out afterwards that she'd been my SP for a year and a half! What a treat it was finding that out!

Here's to many happy months of Secret Pal fun!

PS - Just checked and there is a similar book about China so it's on my Chapter's wish list.

sandi said...

So glad you are enjoying the exchange!!!

Sandi

OH MY #6 said...

very nice!

Lea