Thursday, August 20, 2009

July 21

I fell asleep almost right away last night. I think that’s a first. Denver stirred a few times in the night but I just had to rub his back and he went right back to sleep. I woke up around 4:00 am and then just laid there the rest of the time. Denver got up around 6:15 am.

I had breakfast and then went to the internet café with another adoptive mom. There are only four computers there and they were all taken so we had to wait a bit. When I finally got online, I printed out Denver’s airline ticket for Friday night that Mike had emailed to me. It took forever because it was such a slow connection. I read one email that Mike had sent out to family and friends and copied me on but it was too emotional to read. This other adoptive mom and I were sitting there hugging and crying together. She’s been a good friend – we’re both really homesick – she’s here without her husband too. After that I decided not to read any more emails from Mike. Besides it was so slow and we had to get back to the guest house.

When we got back, Solomon was waiting for us. We headed out with three other families to Entoto Mountain. We drove all the way up to a high point and looked out over Addis Ababa. The view was beautiful. There were lots of goats and donkeys along the way. We also saw many of the women carrying the firewood down the mountain – what a brutal life. At the top of the mountain, there were many kids there and one of the couples handed out McDonald’s treat of the week toys to them. They loved it and were so happy.

We drove halfway down the mountain and stopped at the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church and the Entoto St. Mary Emperor Menelik and Emperess Taitu’s Memorial Museum. It was quite interesting. We had a tour at the museum and then walked around the church grounds. The buildings where the Emperor used to live was really cool.

The kids were all getting hungry at this point so we opted to have lunch before doing some shopping. We ate at the University in Addis.

After lunch we visited the Former Women Wood Carriers Association. These are mostly women that used to carry the firewood up and down the mountain but they’ve now been taught a skill – weaving. We got to see them weaving the scarves and they loved to have their picture taken and then asked to see it on the back of the digital camera. Then we shopped. And boy did we shop. I bought 12 scarves. I couldn’t pick – they were all so beautiful. They'll make nice gifts for people back home.

The next stop was a pottery shop. Again, we got to see the women making the pottery. It was beautiful. I bought a few keepsakes for the kids and for Mike and me.

By this time, the kids had had enough and the adults were also tired. So we headed back to the guest house. Solomon was kind enough to stop at the grocery store we were at the first day I had Denver so that I could buy some more formula. I was almost out of it and I couldn’t find it in any stores around the guest house.
I couldn't resist taking a picture of this computer store for Mike:

When we got back to the Weygoss, the lawyer was there again. He had had a really good day and accomplished a lot more again. He pushed to get more LONO’s, more letters from the MOWA, birth certificates, passports, etc. He’s done so much since he came here and we couldn’t have gotten this far without him. He also arranged to have some more of our stuff brought to the Weygoss from the transition home. So I got Denver’s little journal that was kept under his crib. It’s very interesting to read and I found out a few more things about his short life before we met him. I was chatting with the lawyer for a while about everything and as it turns out, he is going to be on the same flight home on Friday night that I am – through Frankfurt to Toronto. I teased him about maybe babysitting for me but he didn’t go for it. We also talked about Denver’s visa and when it would arrive. The Consul at the Canadian Embassy said if we didn’t hear from him on Tuesday, then he would call us on Wednesday when it arrived. I told the lawyer that if I didn’t hear from the Consul by 12:00 noon, then I would call him. He said if he didn’t hear from him by 10:00 am, he would call him. I see why he’s been able to get so much done since he’s been here!

We just ordered in for dinner and ate in the lobby with some other families.

Denver went to bed around 8:30 . . . here’s hoping it’s a good night with lots of sleep – for him and me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just went back and read your journey for a second time...quietly,and realized...through all that was going on there,you took the time and Denver, and shared your LOVE with the many children there...God sure guides you Karen,and your Faith in him...shows....in many ways...
xox P&B