Thursday, October 08, 2009

The Run

This past Sunday, I laced up my running shoes and participated in the annual 5k Run for the Cure. Although the reality of having Christel's name on my back really sucked, I wore it proud because quite frankly, I'm totally proud of her. She's fighting the biggest of battle of her life and doing a darn good job of it. Waking up every single day and dealing with this dreaded disease can't be easy and so waking up one Sunday morning to run a 5k in her honour is the least I can do.

Christel, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm so proud of you girl and I'll continue to be here, cheering you on from the sidelines. Go Christel Go!
You can see from these pictures how many people participated. It was packed. It's always a challenge when the race begins because you're stuck in a crowd of people trying to run. Finally around halfway through the 5k, it breaks up a bit but you're always surrounded by people on all sides. It's interesting to read the signs on everyone's back as you run. It seems as though almost everyone knows someone close to them that has dealt with or is dealing with breast cancer. So it's awesome to see so many people supporting this event.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Karen...I am sure Christel is also very proud of you....

Anonymous said...

Ah, Karen, I am honoured that you would run for me. Also a little emotional about it:) Thanks, for everything....Christel

mc said...

Way to go Christel and Karen:)

Anonymous said...

That is such an amazing thing to do Karen! Hope you had a good run!
Julia

Two Kayaks said...

Love you for doing this!

The Warren Family said...

wow, good for you!

darci said...

good job karen!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Karen. Some thing you could do to help Christel on her journey fighting cancer. You done good and I'm so proud of you BOTH! luv ya both - momz

darci said...

hi karen, i made my blog private. if you'd still like to read, could you email me your email address? thanks! :)
mhovdestad at hotmail dot com

Catherine said...

Way to go friend! Running for a CURE for Cristel and so many more. You're an inspiration to all of us. xo

Sharla said...

That's great! I lost my grandma to breast cancer and have a friend who was diagnosed two years ago and is now doing well and once it impacts you personally like it has for you with your friend Christel, it becomes more of an emotional thing and seeing all those people out running for their loved ones is so meaningful.

Heather said...

Brought tears to my eyes.