Thursday, December 07, 2006

Samara (what else?)

Ok, so I guess I've kept a few of you in suspense . . . sorry about that. I went to my mom's this afternoon to scan some of the papers so that I could email them to our social worker. She just wants to review the information before meeting with us. Then my mom invited us for supper, which of course I couldn't refuse. Then tonight I went to get my flu shot which I've never had before but need for China. So ya, here I am finally updating my blog.

Well, I called Mike as I was opening the package this afternoon so we could read it together. It was a lot more emotional than I thought it would be. Let's face it, that's my daughter they're talking about. Reading about my baby being abandoned and found by the police hit me harder than I thought it would. Anyway, here are a few things we now know about Samara:

- She was found near a big banyan tree on March 11, 2006 (seven days old), wrapped in a dark red cloth
- Her initial diagnosis was a low-weight newborn (which didn't surprise me since she's still quite tiny)
- There was a note left with her (there were no details about that but I hope maybe we'll get a chance to see it when we're in China)
- She has been sound in growth and development
- She has never had any serious illness - just some common colds and fevers
- She is fond of sleeping face down (yikes!) and is apparently a deep sleeper
- She gets up at 6:00 am, naps from 12:00 to 2:00 pm and goes to bed around 8:30 pm
- Her most favourite activity is playing on exercise mat
- Her most favourite toy is "sound making toys" (great!)

We also received her growth chart from months one, two, three, four and five which is really nice to have. There's a lot of lab work and other tests that our family doctor will have to explain to us but everything looks normal from what we can tell. We have all her measurements from August 31 (almost six months) but we received that already with the initial referral. They tell us when she started eating solids and what she likes to eat. Apparently she "tended to cry much" when she was one to two months old but then "cried less often" when she was three to four months old.

There's more (the summary was four pages long) but I can't put it all in this post - I'd be here all night. We are so happy to get all this information. We want to know all we can about our precious Samara. I hope we'll get information on her from six to 12 months when we're in China.

Oh ya, one more thing the file said that made me laugh was this: "She is a fairly cute child". FAIRLY CUTE?!?!?! She's more than fairly cute! Again I say, that's my daughter you're talking about . . . she's adorable . . . not just "fairly cute". Isn't that funny?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

No doubt there aren't any other ones that said that. I'm sure they were just trying not to make everyone else jealous. Translation: (more accurate one anyways....) the cutest baby we've ever seen here! :)

4D said...

That is so great! Thanks for sharing the info. I always wondered what we might know when we get our referral.

She is more then fairly cute...she is postively cute!

Keep smilin!

M and M said...

She is adorable!! Kinda weird to have that much information but on the other hand it is never enough information...

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I agree!! That post was amazing Karen!! Thanks for all that you shared!! I'm sure it was both hard and amazing to read so much about your baby girl!!

And she is "quite cute"!!! ;)

Your blog was the first I checked out over here at my friends tonight!! Man this makes me miss my fast internet even more!!

Dawn

t~ said...

Thanks for sharing the details of Samara!

I am cracking up over the fairly cute comment though...she isn't fairly cute, she's stinkin' adorable!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

That IS funny! I think she is TOTALLY cute! And I'm not just saying that! I think it's so neat that you got that info, even if it is a bit sad. Something to share with her when she is older, and ready. I hope I get LOTS of info, but I have to accept that I may have very little. Either way, I'll be thankful!

Calico Sky said...

Oh how wonderful it must have been to read all about your beautiful daughter. I too said yikes when you read about the face down sleeping. Can you tell I work in child health?! lol
She sounds wonderful and healthy and the perfect daughter for you!

randy and cara said...

Congrats, the paper package just prior to getting the proper "package" Blessings on you as you prepare for that!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Great informaton!!! Of course you would be emotional looking at this information, sweet girl...this is your daughter!

Jill and Jaap said...

Thanks for sharing Karen. I bet this would have been something to sit down and read. Very emotional! Well, I have never heard them speak of "looks" before, so the fact they said anything, is something! And we know she is ADORABLE!!!

Colleen said...

Okay...never mind. sorry. I just realized its not the same person.

Still love the pics.

LedaP said...

Fairly cute?!? That is hilarious...our paperwork says our little girl is "even more lovely and naughty than before." Hmmm...hoping naughty means "mischievious?"