Thursday, June 26, 2008

Falling Apart

I turned 34 on Saturday and now that I've officially entered my mid 30's, look what happened:



I know you're wondering how it happened and I can't really answer that. I just woke up one morning and it started to hurt. It got progressively worse until after about a week it was so painful, I could barely use the hand. I went in to see the doctor who twisted and turned my hand every which way and nothing hurt until she moved my thumb away from the hand. Aha! That's where the pain was coming from – the bottom of my thumb. So she said it must be a repetitive strain injury of the abductor tendon in my thumb. She was trying to figure out something I do to repetitively use that tendon and the only thing she could come up with is picking up Samara all the time. So that's what we're going with. We're blaming it on Samara. She gets blamed for the majority of things around here and 99.9% of the time it really is her. :) So we'll just add this one to the list too. When I came out of the doctor's office and was telling Mike about it, Samara came up to me with her arms extended saying "up". Seriously, how can I resist the cuteness? I just have to now use my forearm instead of my hand to pick her up on the left side.

Oh, and just to make sure that it's just a repetitive strain injury and not something going on with the bone in there, I had an x-ray done yesterday. The reason I mention this is because it's a cool story. I went in to the x-ray department at 8:30 am to make sure I would be the first one there and wouldn't have to wait very long. Sure enough I was the first and only one there and so I got called in right away. The x-ray technician happened to notice my jade necklace that I wear all the time and commented on it asking if I had gotten it in Beijing. When I said yes, she told me that she had also been to Beijing. I went out on a limb and asked her if she happened to be there for adoption and she said yes. So the more we talked about it, we came to discover that we were in China at the exact same time last year adopting our daughters. We were even in the same province and better yet, stayed in the exact same city! She received her daughter on January 31 and we got Samara on February 1 (different orphanages). Her and her husband also have biological children. How coincidental is that??? I actually ended up being in the x-ray room for almost an hour because we were talking and talking and talking. Isn’t that cool?

(By the way, this is nothing compared to Mike's injury. He tore the medial collateral ligament in his knee last week. He's been on crutches and the whole works so hopefully that gets better soon too!)


7 comments:

4D said...

Ouch! Be well both of you!

Great coincidence.

Keep smilin!

Catherine said...

First off...belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY friend!!! Hope you had a GREAT day of celebration!

Next...ouch! I was with a friend in SK today who's wearing an arm brace for exactly the same reason. Those cuties and their 'up' sure can strain the body. I have a feeling this will be my fate in the future as my wrist is already weak from an old cheerleading injury. It flares up just when I babysit for a weekend so I'm guessing mommyhood will put it to the true test.

Hope your wrist and Mike's knee are better soon.

Hugs sweetie. Miss you!!!

Lori said...

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope and pray the injuries are short term and you both get well soon! Very cool x-ray story. I love how God has been working in the lives of people who have adopted. The adoption world gets bigger and bigger!
Lori

Anonymous said...

What? Samara's fault? Innocent little Samara?

I think you should just chalk it up to old age! :)

Hope it feels better soon....and Mike's leg too!

m

Anonymous said...

Let's face it girl - "you ain't as young as you used to be!" So don't blame it on my granddaughter!! And Mike just has to learn to "act his age." You're not teenagers anymore :) :)
Seriously - hope your injuries heal soon. I'm sure it's a "pain" - literally!!
By the way, you had told me you were probably going to be sqeezed in for the x-ray so you didn't know how long you'd be...that's why I didn't think you were gone all that long. I don't know...do you think that was taking advantage of a situation!!!visiting with the x-ray techy? Just kidding - the kids were great!! But then of course the story of meeting a fellow adoptive parent from China...same province, same city, changes the whole picture. What a coincidence and how nice you had time to share!
momz

OH MY #6 said...

Oh dear! thats nasty.

Take of you both!

Lea
xo

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Ouch! Heal!!!!!!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

ANd I hope that Mike gets better.

And I hope that you do too.

And I hope that you have a great summer.

:-)