Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Wait

As many of you know, and many others of you don't know (but can probably imagine), waiting for a referral (picture and information about your child) is one of the most difficult parts of adoption. When you begin the process of adoption, you are told by your agency what your approximate timeline will be. This, however, is subject to change and most likely will . . . that's been our experience anyway.

When we started the process for Samara, we were told that we would wait for six months before getting a referral. As we got closer to the six month mark, the timelines changed and we were told it would be more like eight months. Eight months quickly turned into ten months which turned into a year and eventually we had waited for 15 months before we saw Samara's sweet face for the first time. I know that doesn't sound very long for those of you that are waiting to adopt from China currently but when you're told six months, then 15 months is a long time.

Now I'm wondering what's going to happen this time around. When we started our homestudy, the wait to receive a referral for an infant boy from Ethiopia was 2 - 4 months. That changed to 3 - 5 months and then we heard it would take at least six months. People are now waiting seven months for a referral of an infant boy from Ethiopia and we've been told to count on at least eight months. That brings us to January but having been there, done that, I think I'll count on next spring.

Having said all that, I'm happy to report that I'm still feeling content and at peace with the wait. I don't know if it's because we've been through it all before . . . but whatever it is, I'm glad I'm not as anxious as I was the first time around. I know that it's all in God's capable hands and that we'll get our referral at the exact time we were meant to. Samara fits into our family so well and I know that's why we waited as long as we did last time. I know we'll be waiting the exact amount of time we need to this time too so that the child God already has picked out for our family will be ready at that exact time.

So for all those who are wondering . . . that's where we're at. We appreciate your continued prayers and support.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

January..next spring... Grandpa&Grandma have a spot ready in our hearts and the Love just keeps growing :)...hang in little guy,won't be long till you are placed in your mommy & daddy's arms.And...just wait till you meet your siblings!

OH MY #6 said...

U got it!

Lea
xo

Dawn and Dale said...

We are updating our home study again right now and I'm already thinking about "the wait" again myself!

I KNOW it's going to be hard but I think this time it may be a BIT easier now that we have Charla home and I've realized first hand the wonderful way God just works things out to be PERFECT in the end!! :) How can you NOT sit and wait on HIM in that kind of situation hey???!!! :)

I'm praying for you guys!!

Blessings!

t~ said...

Yep, it's an unpredictable wait. We were told 8 months....and here we are, still waiting 32 months later.

I've thoroughly enjoyed your journey to China and back and watching Samara blossom. Looking forward to your next referral as well.

my3 kids said...

We are waiting right along with you girl. Hope the wait times become less but not longer as that is so hard. The second time around is a little easier isn't it..I guess it's cause we know wha tto expect and we have little ones at home to chase after etc.

Catherine said...

Ahhh, there's nothing like the peace only God can supply during the wait. Glad to hear you're doing so well. Closer every day...

Love you friend. Praying for your little guy.

Lori said...

Waiting....yes, what a concept! But through it, we are strengthened and you are right, God's timing is always perfect. That's not to say it makes waiting any easier. Continued prayers for your family and for your new son.

Lori

The Warren Family said...

Sometimes I wish I could hit the "fast forward" button on my life and get to the happy part of this wait.
Great post! I don't always feel like family/friends get how stressful waiting for a referral is - it is nice to read your post and know that there are other people out there who "get it".

Shannon

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I have to admit....I WAS wondering just what the timeline was.....now I know....I'm thankful that you are at peace!!!!

Anonymous said...

God's perfect timing....you are so right. I can't imagine the family without Samara. She is a perfect fit. I'm sure the next one will be too!
mz

Anonymous said...

God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform. We can't wait for another new miracle in the family and are sure this little one will fit in just as well as Samara has. We have been blessed and will be again - in God's time. Luv & prayers!
momz