Thursday, May 05, 2011

Chocolate!

Upon feeling a little bored and unmotivated with our current curriculum, I was on the hunt for something different to bring excitement back into our learning. That’s when I came across this website and decided to try out a unit study. I had Victoria and Austin look over the different topics and choose their top three. They had one study the same on both of their lists . . . Chocolate! So I purchased the unit study and we began studying everything chocolate. The study is meant to be used in a week but it’s so jammed packed with stuff that it was easily spread out over two weeks. We continued with our regular math and some of our reading but everything else was put on the back burner. It was so fun and one of the best decisions I’ve made. The unit study covers everything including geography, history, math, spelling, reading, writing, etc. . . . and all from a Christian perspective. We learned all about the history of chocolate, the lives of chocolatiers like Milton Hershey, Rodolphe Lindt, Domingo Ghirardelli, Henri Nestle and John Cadbury. We learned all about the rain forest where cacao trees grow and how a variety of chocolate is made. The kids loved it and the best part (I’m sure the kids would agree) was all the chocolate treats we got to make: chocolate fondue, chocolate bowls, chocolate shakes, chocolate scented play dough and much more!

Here are a few pictures of us making and enjoying our treats.




















At the end of the study, Victoria and Austin each put together a great lapbook to help them remember everything they learned.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness..that looks amazing,(not to mention yummy)I never knew Chocolate had so much history.:)

Liesl said...

I LOVE those chocolate bowls! The lap books look great too. I definitely need to do this too.
~Liesl

Anna said...

Those bowls are the coolest! Looks so yummy!

Catherine said...

What a great unit!! Mmmm...chocolate in school? Wow! You rock Mommy!

Those chocolate ice cream bowls look super yummy!

Anonymous said...

Those bowls are so yummy looking! Maybe next time I come for dinner you could do a review on that unit!!!
Love those yummy chocolately faces even more!
Aunt d

Rowan Family Tree said...

Hi Karen!! Just stopping by to sayhi and see how the little ones are doing :-) Little did I know I would be learning to make CHOCLATE bowls!! lol

Cheers!
"Nicky"