Thursday, January 11, 2007

Packing . . .

Ok, it's been a long time since I've posted on this blog. What have I been up to? You're looking at it. Packing for the trip of a lifetime!!!




I can't believe what a big job it is. I haven't even attempted putting it in a suitcase and weighing it yet. Apparently Air Canada will let us check in two suitcases per person, each weighing no more than 50 lbs. (100 lbs per person). But then when we arrive in China we will need to leave some of our luggage in storage in Beijing. when we fly from Beijing to the province where Samara is (Guangdong) we are only allowed to take one suitcase per person, each weighing 44 lbs. That's a huge difference! So we'll have to get it all figured out here and have it all weighed so we know exactly what we're taking to Guangdong since I'm sure the hotel room in Beijing won't have a bathroom scale. Just typing about this is stressing me out!!

Ok, that's not all I've been up to. I went shopping with my sister yesterday. We met at Vaughn Mills and shopped till we dropped. I took Austin with me and my sister took my 3-year-old neice along too. Shopping with kids isn't always recommended and can often lead to frustration and cutting the trip short . . . however, they were great and had a lot of fun together. We arrived at 10:00 am and left at around 7:00 pm. (that includes playtime breaks and two meals - lunch and supper). But it was a long day and Austin crashed pretty much as soon as we got into the van to drive home. But being a prepared mom, I already had him in his pj's and transferred him right into bed when we got home. What a great day we had - and probably my last outing for a long time. I bought a few things for Samara - The Children's Place had some great deals and I really couldn't resist. The best deal though was at Please Mum where I got two pairs of tights for Samara for a grand total of $2.10!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering when you were going to update your blog!
The clothes for Samara are really cute. Even better when you get great prices!
As for your packing...looks like fun....NOT!!! Can't imagine, but I'm sure you'll figure it out in time to leave for China. Can't believe how quick it's coming up...how exciting.
I guess I only have a couple weeks to finish the scrapbook pages....the pressure is on! :)
MZ

4D said...

Great to hear from you! Looks like a lot. Hope you are making a packing list and will share all the hints you learnt along the way!!!

I am sure it will all work out!

Fun shopping day! I love Children`s Place. Please Mum sounds great...do not have that one here.

Keep smilin!

Catherine said...

Such a big job! Ugh...one thing I'm not looking forward to as I'm a huge over-packer. Hope your packing lists are helpful and the rest of us can learn from you when we go. :o)

Counting down the days...yeah!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I love The Children's Place. And Please Mum. I do NOT want to do the packing. Since you will have already done it by then, will you do mine too? :-)

M and M said...

You got some great pieces there! Samara is going to be one well dressed kid!!

I think you are leaving soon - how exciting!!!

You will have to post your packing lists and tips...

Anonymous said...

Oh yea Austin is a real "shopper" now where do you think he gets it from eh....Good job Karen..with the shopping that is. I think you need more time on packing though!!
Coutdown is on !!!!
PC

Calico Sky said...

Karen, how can you go to Vaughan Mills without me?! lol
Oh how I missed your blog during my 6 days of no connection!!!

Jill and Jaap said...

Karen- once Samara is home...and you are all settled...maybe the by the summer- we should meet you for a day at Vaugnn Mills!

Colleen said...

Ok seriously I am stressed just reading your post. The thought of packing for that trip is too much! (exciting - but stressful!)

Love the stuff you bought. I have those same lime green pants put away for Hannah...Children's Place? Love em!