Wednesday, January 31, 2007

We're here!!

Hello everyone. Wow . . . that was the longest day ever! Our flight left Toronto airport at 8:00 am (actually it was about an hour late but still gave us tons of time to catch our connecting flight in Vancouver. We boarded the plane finally at 4:30 pm (January 30)and touched down in Beijing at 4:00 pm local time (January 31). Isn't that insane? I think the flight was about 11 1/2 hours from Vancouver to Beijing and honestly about halfway, I had had enough. Did I mention how long that flight is? Our guide, Shirley, met us at the airport and everything went very smoothly there. It was about an hour bus ride from the airport to our hotel because of rush hour - and I mean rush hour! Traffic is crazy here. :) We then checked in, organized our luggage, had a bite to eat at the hotel here and finally crashed about 9:00 pm. We slept great . . . until about 2:30 am and we've been awake ever since. It's strange because you're so exhausted and think you could sleep for days but 5 1/2 hours later we were wide awake. I think our clocks are a bit messed up. So here I am blogging at 4:30 am (Thursday morning - not sure what happened to Wednesday). I hope I can figure this all out because Blogger is all in Chinese.

Our wake up call this morning will be at 5:00 - obviously no need for that. We're going to meet downstairs for breakfast and then board the bus at 6:20 to go back to the airport. What a whirlwind! We catch our plane to go to Guangzhou at 8:45 and I think it's a 3 hour flight. By the time we get there, we'll have just enough time to throw our bags in our room and we'll be out the door again to get Samara. Can you believe that? It's so soon now. And the funny thing is that it still doesn't seem real. I suppose it's gonna take having her in our arms finally to make it very, very real. We were looking out our window last night saying, "I can't believe we're in China!"

We had a chance to call home quickly last night. It was nice to talk to the kids (and you too Peggy). They sound like they're having a lot of fun.

Thank you to everyone who has left comments and emails. When I opened my sympatico account this morning, I had 48 messages! Awesome. It's so nice to hear from everyone.

For those of you who had problems leaving a comment, this is how you do it: Underneath this post it will say 5 comments or however many comments there are for this post. Just click on that and you should be able to leave a comment without a blogger account by just signing in as anonymous.




16 comments:

Dawn and Dale said...

It's soooo great hearing from you!!!!! Glad you made it safely and that you get Samara sooo very soon!!!

Your post posted great except that you have two of them!! Your most recent one has the pictures the post under it is the same but without the pictures!

Keep us updated!! I'll be refreshing often!!!

Love and prayers,

Dawn

Dawn and Dale said...

Pssst... I copied a picture of Samara to post on my blog!! Hope that was ok!!!

Anonymous said...

The very very long day is behind you and you are just at the beginning of the whirlwind. Take deeeeeep breaths. Praying for you all the way.
Marianne Bailey

Anonymous said...

Hi Mommy Hi Daddy do you have samara now,love you bye (from Austin) I love you and Samara (from Victoria)and from Grandma...Be safe,we are having a Hoot here....Love you hugs & kisses...oh yea..hi Grandma Zandstra

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful letter from your kids !! They're a tough act to follow !! Thank-you for posting the pics and the commentary - you must both be exhausted! Get some sleep if you can and congratulations on finally holding Samara in your arms !!

See you in Beijing !
Paul and Angela

Ava's family said...

I'm glad to hear you made it safe and sound! It's NOT much longer now.....WHOO-HOO!

Liz and Ava said...

Glad to hear you arrived OK...been following your blog for a while!
I read on someelses blog that when in China to get blogger to come up in English use this link:
http://www.blogger.com/?hl=en
Try it and see. Can't wait to see pictures. Let me know if the link works...I will probably need to use it also in a month or so when I travel.
Liz

M and M said...

Holy Cow - you are THERE!!!

By the time I get up in the morning, you will have Samara!!

Anonymous said...

I am eagerly awaiting a picture of you with Samara. I am glad you know what day you are in because I don't. Hope you get some sleep.
Margaret E

4D said...

Great news! So happy that you made it safe and sound. So excited for you that soon Samara will be in your arms.

Keep smilin!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Yay! Glad you made it safe and sound. We will all be watching so closely with hearts on our sleeves just waiting to see your sweet Samara.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you arrived safely. It's 8:36 pm here...that means you'll be meeting Samara soon! Can't wait to wake up and see pictures of our niece (cousin) in your arms! Hurry up morning....
M,B,B,Z & C

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that all went well with your looong flight.

Praying that your first meeting with Samara will be real soon and that she will be as excited as you are.

Praying for your safety as you keep on traveling.

Love and prayers,
Margaret D

Catherine said...

Won't be long now! What an exciting day for you.

Praying for you and sweet Samara as you prepare to meet one another.

God is so good! Praising Him with you!

Anonymous said...

we posted our comment under the other post! Don't miss it! We are thinking about you. It's 11:34 pm here and you'll be holding your precious daughter soon. Wow, the day has finally arrived (for you anyways). It's still yesterday here. (!!) I wish I could just sit here and wait... OK maybe not... too tired.
d

Dawn and Dale said...

Well it's late here in British Columbia too but I just had to come by one last time tonight to see if you had posted pictures yet of your Gotcha moments!! I'm sure you are lovnig Samara to pieces right now and not even thinking of the rest of us!!!

I love what "d" wrote that it's still "yesterday" here!! Too funny!!

Can't wait!!!

Dawn