Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Forbidden City and Peking Duck Dinner

This morning we were scheduled to go to the Forbidden City. My throat was still so sore when I woke up so just Mike went and Samara and I cuddled in bed all morning. (Yes Victoria, mommy and Samara had a cozy pants day). As it turns out, it was a good thing we stayed back. It was a very cold, very windy day today and it wouldn't have been good for me or Samara to be out all morning in that. I was glad we stayed back. Here are some of the pictures from the Forbidden City. At one point our guide Shirley had to run ahead so she asked Mike to take the flag and lead the group to the next station. Apparently he totally took over, giving a history lesson as he went. Later today Shirley was telling me all about it and she could hardly talk because she was laughing so hard. She said, "your husband a funny man!"









This evening we had our Peking Duck Dinner. It was very good authentic chinese food and our bellies were full again - that's two nights in a row! They brought out many different dishes and Shirley showed us how to put together the "pancakes" (sort of like fajita shells) with the sauce and duck meat. It was so delicious.






Tomorrow we're off to do a bit more shopping in the morning. There's an opportunity for a bit more sightseeing in the afternoon but I think we'll be laying low - in case you couldn't tell, we've had enough of going here, there and everywhere. Two more sleeps and we're on our way home - Hooray!!



P.S. M&M, if you're reading this, I am unable to get on your blog here in Beijing for some reason. I hope all is well - we're continuing to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Love you lots.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have really enjoyed your travelogue with the pictures. Samara won't feel strange to us when we meet her when you are home.
The sightseeing pics are beautiful too.
Thanks for keeping us informed. We marvel at the techniques that makes it possible to stay in touch while so far away.
We wish you travel mercies, and blessings.
A & JK

Anonymous said...

Weather report from Hamilton. First big dump ( I mean snow not one of your other blogs) is happening today with windchills of -26. It should be all cleared up by the time your plane touches down. Hope your throat improves Karen.
Marianne

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen...I am unable to open my email,so sorry if I have not answered!Today is calling for snow,but its only 10-15cm which is not all that bad.Most to fall in the hours which is good for clean up!We just baked cookies so Victoria could take some along to her friends for a play day! I'll try email later...
Love You Guys....xoxoxoxox
"The Home Team"

Anonymous said...

sorry I mean "day hours"

Anonymous said...

Hey You Three,

Thank you for sharing your amazing journey. Can't wait to see you. I like the thought of a cozy pants day. As I look out on the snow flurries I think you have the right idea. Can't wait to see you.

Love Christy

The Robertsons said...

Hope you feel better before the BIG flight. Isn't the Peking duck delicious? I think the most I ate on the whole trip. I hope none of you had elevator advetures like ours while on our way out of the restaurant.

Kathryn

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Can't wait to have you back home, Karen! I will be praying that your sore throat goes away soon! I love watching you trip, thanks SO much for showing us everything!

Janet T.

M and M said...

I hope you are feeling better before you have to get on the plane. Won't be long now until you are home - and I am sure it won't be a minute too soon!

Calico Sky said...

Wow!
My favourite meal was Peking Duck with pancakes, a special sauce and cucumber! YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

Well, the snow is coming down thick and fast. Samara will really know that she is in Canada when she gets off the plane. Safe travels and hope the sore throat is gone. It has been a pleasure taking this trip with you. Thanks for taking the time and the pictures. Margaret E

Jill and Jaap said...

Have loved seeing all your photos and updates! Looking forward to seeing you guys home too!

Safe travels!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines...well as you know we are "snowed in" its a snow day!!!!Oh well its kind of pretty,and we want Samara to be a true Canadian "eh". Grandpa is doing the drive,and Victoria & Austin & I have just made some special heart shaped cup (pup) cakes!!!So have a good sleep and come home to us safe...
Loves you Lots xoxox
"The Home Team"