Sunday, February 04, 2007

It's 2:30 am here and I can't sleep . . . again. I'll probably get right back on track just in time to come home to Canada. Samara wasn't really herself for most of the day yesterday. She's getting two more teeth, she had a fever up and down all day, she's still pooping pebbles (even after two suppositories). We're trying to get her to drink lots of water and prune juice but she's not always interested. She also has a cold and is stuffed up. Some of the other babies have been to the doctor and have throat infections so if she's not getting better later today, perhaps we'll go see the doctor too. (For those of you behind us on this journey, add baby suppositories for constipation to your packing list as well as prunes and/or prune juice. Their little bodies go through so much change that I think this is a common issue. You should also bring some cold medication - most of the babies in our group have stuffed up little noses. I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or a common occurance but it's best to have something along just in case). We'll probably lay low as much as possible today as there's not much planned. This afternoon we have to go apply for the babies' passports and I think that's about it.

Yesterday was spent at the zoo. We couldn't get most of the pictures downloaded for some reason but here are a few of them. As you can see it's quite beautiful there - we found a lot of the animals to be quite scrawny though. Not sure what that's all about. I was really looking forward to seeing a panda bear; however, he was fast asleep so all we could see was a lump of white and black fur. Oh well, I guess I can still say I've seen one.






Kathryn - yes, Shamian Island is great. It's a much nicer neighbourhood than the location of our hotel eh? We got the idea of Shamian Island from your comment on Deb's blog - so thanks! We go back to Beijing on Friday, February 9. How's little Kimberly doing?

Marianne - thanks for the update from church. It's great to hear that so many are thinking about us and praying for us. Yikes - I can't believe how cold it is there in Canada - I'll try not to brag about the temperatures here. :)



10 comments:

Liz and Ava said...

Thanks for the tip re the prunes/suppositories. Is the prune juice/prunes readily available in China?...as far as I know we can't bring fruit on the plane.
Liz

Anonymous said...

I look at these pictures and I say to myself -- I can't believe they're in China! Obviously you are there to receive your beautiful child, but what an incredible journey! Just as well that you need to stay there for a couple weeks (not easy I'm sure) but when else would you ever get such an opportunity to see such a culture. Enjoy the sight seeing. Can't wait to see more pictures when you get home. (You can leave out the ones with the bears :) )
cw

Dawn and Dale said...

Those are some great pictures yet again!!!

I'm soooo going to china with Children's tylonal cold and cough!! It works magic on my boys when they have nasty colds!! I don't leave home on holidays without it here so it's forsure going to be packed to China with us!! (Thanks for the heads up on the suppositories though!! Not sure I would have thought of that one!!)

Blessings from Canada!!

Dawn

t~ said...

Pretty pictures. I hope she gets to feeling better soon!

M and M said...

I really hope that Samara is feeling better soon. It must be so terrible that she is under the weather.

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying watching your trip, Karen! She is sooo cute! I hope the whole poop thing gets better soon, though....:-( Looks like other than that, things are going well. I am so happy for you guys. I also loved the outfit you chose for her baptism! I am TOTALLy going to do that for Beth's! What a great idea! THanks!
Hugs from Canada,

Janet

Anonymous said...

We are home a week now as well, group 241. So nice to be home however our little Emma took sick when we got home rather than in China (the cold that goes on and on)...I guess they are fighting off so much change. Hope Samara feels better soon. One baby in our group went to hospital and meds seemed to work wonders on her. Amy

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,
I had trouble with both my girls on the constipation front and I learned that Rice cereal can be a culprit. Rice is one of the foods they advise you to eat when you've got the opposite problem (BRAT diet). Maybe the change from the congee has been the problem. What's congee made from anyways? Anyways, it's just a thought to consider. Love checking the site... think about you lots! Love to you both and of course to mom (thanks for the card!)
d

Anonymous said...

I just got a chance to get updated on your trip and you guys look so proud - she is so adorable and I don't blame you for showing her off so much - she looks so huggable. It must be such a strange and exilerating experience to be starting all over again with a baby in a totally different culture. It's great you get to see so much of the culture while you are there and at least get a feel for where she is coming from. It looks like there are some really beautiful areas. The outfits you picked for Vicotia, Austin and Samara are so.. cute. I love her name too!! Her cheeks are so chubby I just want to squeeze... them. Hope her health issues clear up for you soon. It must be harder dealing with it being in a hotel instead of your own home. Hope you get some sleep yourself soon.
Your in my thoughts and prayers - congrats!! Annette

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

Enjoy the journey while it lasts. It seems you have bonded already with the "cuty". Are you all going to dress in Chinese outfits for the baptism?

Beautiful pictures.

Johan