Friday, February 02, 2007

It's final . . . she's ours!

Today we had to go back to the Civil Affairs Office to do a bit more paperwork and have two short interviews. We were asked by the officials questions such as:
Why did you want to adopt?
Why did you want to adopt from China?
Are you willing to adopt her?
Are you satisfied with her?
We sort of chuckled (afterwards of course) at some of the questions because the wording seems a little funny but of course we told them we're satisfied with her - so yes, we passed the interviews and we get to keep her! :) Here's a picture of the three of us after we were done finalizing everything.



And here are some more of her just because she's so darn cute!






As you can see Denise, the outfit just fits her - and we thought we'd be rolling the pants and sleeves! Not this chunky monkey. She started out as one of the smallest babies and now she's one of the heaviest babies in our group! Gives us more to squeeze. I was tickling her chunky belly today and she was just giggling away. Very contagious.

Yes, the referral was right . . . she does love to sleep face down! And she puts her bum in the air too - so cute.

Answers to some of your questions:

Yes, we did get our care package back that we sent to the orphanage when we got our referral and we know it was opened and out because it all has the orphanage smell on it. The disposable camera says there are 0 pictures remaining so I assume they took some of her over the last two months. We'll get it developed when we get home. The orphanage also gave us all a little photoalbum that they put together with three or four pictures of Samara - not sure when they were taken but they're really cute and it's a neat keepsake.

Regarding food, I haven't eaten a lot . . . being the picky eater I am. The room service we ordered last night was Chinese -the menu for room service is limited and I actually didn't eat it - I'm glad I brought granola bars. Breakfast is good though and the food is definitely a lot better here in Guangzhou than it was in Beijing (maybe a personal opinion). There are four McDonald's within walking distance from our hotel - haven't gone there yet but I know some people in our travel group have. Tonight we're venturing out to find the Pizza Hut that's fairly close by here - should be ok.

Yes, we are going to visit Samara's orphanage next week. I'm looking forward to seeing where she's been hanging out for the first part of her life. I also have some more questions for the director. In the excitment of the "gotcha moment" you tend to forget specific things you wanted to ask.

Anyway, that's it for now. Thanks again for all your comments and emails. It's been really nice to hear from so many of you.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! Congratulations!! I am so happy for you guys and she is really so so so P*R*E*C*I*O*U*S!

Loves those chubby cheeks! She is so cute sleeping with her bum in the air... I'm so nervous just reading that she likes to sleep face down, got to watchout she is breathing OK when she sleeps :)

Just want to say "Thank You" on behalf of baby Samara for taking her in and loving and caring for her. She is so blessed to have such a lovely family! The LORD is GOOD indeed!

My prayer is that many more lonely babies will be blessed with a loving family soon! Amen!

(Well recently I happen to read about Adoption blogs and esp. Waiting for Sophie's blog. I was so touched by parents like you who went through months of waitings just to give a baby a home... praise God for such people like you guys. May God bless you!)

Lyd

M and M said...

Congrats on being OFFICIAL!!

Keep the pictures coming!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Samara Michelle Carmody!!!
We are all waiting to give those cheeks a big KISS ....

I love you baby Samara (from Victoria)
I love you lots (from Austin)

And me.....Grandma xoxox

"The Home Team"

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you were "satisfied" with Samara because we can't wait to meet her! The pictures are adorable. I'm so relieved for you that the transition for Samara is going so well. Have I told you how adorable she is yet???
m

Anonymous said...

Hi again,
I'm doing the children's message at Immanuel on Sunday morning. The topic is prayer from Nehemiah when he got the news of the destruction of his homeland. I'm contrasting happy news happy face with a smily photo from your blog and a sad face sad news to Nehemiah. Hope it's not too early to use her as a sermon illustration????????
love Marianne

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! What wonderful pictures, brought more then a tear to my eyes, God is Good!!! And She's beautiful!! It's so cute to see you 3 together, I'm sure Victoria and Austin can't wait to join in and give hugs and kisses too. Praying for safety and FUN as you get to know eachother and enjoy some Chinese culture.
Love and Prayers, Kim and Darren & the boys (and baby too!!)

my3 kids said...

Congratulation Guys...little Samara is just beautiful. She looks so cute in her Canada outfit. Enjoy the weater it's sure cold here in Snowy Canada..burrrrr. Have a wonderful time in China with your precious new daughter.

Janice
mommy to Kyle, Kira and Emma

t~ said...

She certainly is cute! Thanks for the food tip!

Anonymous said...

I have an addiction! Everytime I come to the computer I have to take a peek!
I took a good look at Cassie today and you're right. Samara's cheeks win, hands down! But who knows, Cassie has six months to catch up!
m

Calico Sky said...

Oh I am so so happy for you. Congratulations (sorry it took me a while to post).
SHE IS ADORABLE!!!!!!
I AM SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

She is just too cute, Karen and Michael! Thank you for posting pictures of your sweetie and for all of the information you are sharing. You are so gracious to do this while so much is going on in your lives.